Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Anybody Hungry???


I am going to start a series of blogs about some things I find different than the USA and some of the daily life I've come to enjoy in Sweden. Todays topic is one that I've encountered several times a day...drum roll please....

FOOD


First, and foremost, breakfast. Breakfast in Sweden is similiar to a typical European breakfast...but that is not quite like a American breakfast. I've had a variety of different things in the four homes I've stayed in thus far, but many commonalities. First, breakfasts are always a hardy meal. I think that breakfast here is a bigger meal, but healthier. We always have some type of bread (not Wonderbread, more home made with grains). Many also serve "hard bread" at every meal. I would compare this to a Wasa rye crisp. I think of it more as a cracker than bread, but now look to have one with every meal. On the bread few put jelly...more often to have cheese, turkey, tomato. I know you may be thinking..."what? that is lucnch" but that is typical. Also, they cut their cheese with these awesome cheese cutters. They look like pie serving utentsils, but they have a slit that allows you to carve finely sliced pieces of cheese. Not more cutting big hunks to put on things. These are delicate and perfect. Next, with this bread you may also have some yogurt or A-fil. The literal translation of A-fil is sour milk, but before you turn your nose..it is quite delicious. I would compare it to plain yogurt. But unlike the consistency of yogurt, it is a bit more runny. Having a bowl that is part A-fil and part flavored yogurt with granola on top is my absolute favorite here. I've also had hard boiled and scrambled eggs, but the toast and yogurt/A-fil I find most common. Don't forget to add in the coffee as I have never seen more people drink coffee so much as while here in Sweden. Breakfast is served!


Mid-morning, as I have spoken about before, Swedish people partake in Fika. This coffee time is a time of sharing, both coffee and treats, as well as ideas, stories, and personal refelection.

Lunch and Dinner offer many options. I will say that almost all courses of meals these meals that I have had, potatoes are always present. Normally boiled potatoes are always service. Fish is also very popular and I have been happy to eat lots of salmon while I'm here. One tradition of food that they do enjoy, but I did not, was the herring. It is served as an appetizer, sometimes pickled and sometimes in diferent sauces. It tasted a bit fishy to me. It was normally served with those boiled potatoes and hard bread. Overall, I would say that people here eat much healthier than Americans. I've been in the country of Sweden for three weeks and have only had three sodas, all which I sought out for. I have had chips on only one occasion here. And most importantly, I haven't seen anyone I come in contact with eat fast food. No McDonalds or Max's (there popular hamburger chain). People just don't eat that kind of thing on a daily basis. There isn't a lot of snacking aside from some sweets served at Fika. I really have felt good with what has been going into my body.

Normally meals are served with water. The most popular being the water that is carbonated (think like LaCroix or those diet waters). Loka is the brand we have seen everywhere. On one special occasion I also had the treat of a typical birthday cake which translates into "princess cake." This was a yellow cake with whipped cream in it. However, it should be noted that the whipped cream used in Sweden is not like ours. THey must put far less sugar into it, because it really doesn't have as sweet as a taste. It was good, but it isn't overdoing it. Then this cake is covered in marzipan. This was a yummy treat!


So this concludes Swedish meals...anyone hungry?

No comments:

Post a Comment